A number of mid-major players didn't get drafted as expected late last week, but that doesn't signal the end for any of them. Perhaps the most interesting tale, that of Iona's Scott Machado, has found new life.
From the New York Post, there were apparently several teams who were interested in drafting Machado and having him play "a year or two overseas," Machado said. He - I think rightly - disagreed with them and said no thanks. Several teams have talked to him further, and he decided this morning to join the Houston Rockets on their Las Vegas Summer League squad (going on July 13-22).
But he wasn't the only one to find a roster home for this month's upcoming tournaments...
Also in the Las Vegas Summer League:
- Atlanta will be providing a roster spot to Campbell's Eric Griffin.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers will, in a small shocker, be providing a roster spot to St, Mary's Robert Jones, who actually passed up an offer to tryout at tight end with the Minnesota Vikings before accepting the chance to join the Cavs in Vegas.
- Buffalo's Mitchell Watt will be joining the Memphis Grizzlies' roster.
- Old Dominion's Kent Bazemore will join the Oklahoma City Thunder's roster.
- The Detroit Free Press reports that the Indiana Pacers will be watching Oakland's Reggie Hamilton play for them, and he will of course be joined by our good buddy Orlando Johnson.
- Long Beach State's Casper Ware actually could have joined Machado in Houston, but instead chose to participate with the Detroit Pistons for a roster that may have some established point guards, but only one shooting guard - the one they just drafted.
- Penn's Zach Rosen will be joining the Philadelphia 76ers for their summer league tilt in Orlando.
- The Orlando Magic will of course have Kyle O'Quinn playing for their team, but he will be joined by South Dakota's Charlie Westbrook as well as North Carolina Central's Dominique Sutton.