Hartford vs. Stony Brook Game Recap: Seawolves Hang On For Last Minute Win Over Hawks

Peter Casey-USA TODAY Sports

With both teams missing key players, it was a battle of the fittest for Stony Brook and Hartford. The Seawolves managed to pull away in the final seconds for a 56-52 win.

Final - 2.1.2014 1 2 Total
Hartford Hawks 24 28 52
Stony Brook Seawolves 23 33 56

Complete Coverage >

With Hartford's best scorer and rebounder, Mark Nwakamma, on the bench and Stony Brook's stand out player, Carson Puriefoy out of action, it was a battle of the slightly injured teams Saturday when the Seawolves and Hawks took to the floor.

It came down to the wire, just like every Hartford versus Stony Brook game does. It felt like eerily like the game between Stony Brook and Vermont just a few days ago. It came down to just three points in the final seconds. Nate Sikma tried for the tie, but his treys just weren't falling.

With a final foul on Hartford with 1.5 seconds left on the clock, the Seawolves made it a four-point win.

Hartford was not going to go quietly in this one. When the Hawks had the ball and Stony Brook was closing in on defense, they would go out for their specialty: threes.

The Seawolves tried to answer back but only made 2 of 9 long-range shots while Hartford went a bit trey happy and hit 12 of 32. Almost every Hawks player who can make a three did.

"We're a big team, but they have all guards running around with the perimeter shooting threes," said Stony Brook coach Steve Pikiell

Sorry Seawolves, but you're just not quite Hartford when it comes to 3-pointers.

Hartford also forced quite a few turnovers, something unexpected, especially against this intense Stony Brook team. But to counter their defensive surge, headed by Jamie Schneck with two blocks and two steals, the Hawks got into foul trouble early. One of their best defensive players, Corban Wroe, was benched with just under 13 minutes left in the first half with two fouls.

It was the turnovers that almost did in the Seawolves. They lost the ball 20 times to Hartford's 14, with most of them being their own fault. Fans sitting court side got a little bit of the action today.

"We still turned the ball over way too many times tonight, it's been a little bit of a problem for us the last few games, so we really gotta get that straightened out," Pikiell said.

Stony Brook came alive in the second half, gaining an eight-point lead before Hartford's offense came back and brought the numbers back to something more to their liking.

Dave Coley and Anthony Jackson pulled out 12 points each leading to the Seawolves win while Jameel Warney scored 11. It was Jackson's free throw that sealed the victory.

Stony Brook only has three days to get ready for a match up against Binghamton while Hartford gets a nice rest before a home game against Albany next Saturday.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Mid-Major Madness

You must be a member of Mid-Major Madness to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Mid-Major Madness. You should read them.

Join Mid-Major Madness

You must be a member of Mid-Major Madness to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Mid-Major Madness. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.