Gardner Webb's Jerome Hill knocked down a pair of free throws and just like that a 15 point EKU lead was completely erased.
From that point on, however, the Runnin' Bulldogs scored only two more points.
With the game tied at 62, EKU's Cory Walden, banked in a three pointer as the shot clock expired to give the Colonels a 65-62 lead with just over a minute to play.
A couple free throws later, EKU had their first win in a national tournament in 68 years.
- Mike DiNunno did not score until the final two seconds. The All-OVC guard did have five assists to make up for his 0 for 9 shooting from the field.
- An EKU guard who did score, was Glenn Cosey. The guard nailed 6 three pointers on 9 attempts and finished the game with 22 points.
- Cory Walden, however, would not be outdone as he dropped 26 points. Walden was 4 of 4 from three-land, with the biggest, obviously, being the game winner.
- The Colonels allowed the Bulldogs to stay in the game by turning the ball over, a season high, 20 times. But Gardner Webb did not take advantage and gave up the ball 22 times, themselves.
- The Gardner Webb crowd got a glimpse of what we had seen all year long in the Ohio Valley Conference. That is, EKU players celebrate, they talk trash and they rub the salt in the wound when they're beating you. Now, you can call them classless if you want but it's their style. They try to get in their opponents heads and if you let them they'll win. Do I think Jeff Neubauer should calm his players down every once in a while? Yea, probably. But, whatever EKU did tonight did not warrant what is stated below.
So grown people spit on college players after a game in the CIT...— Robbie Stenzel (@Robbie_Stenzel) March 20, 2013
I hope that isn't true but if it is that is just shameful for the GWU fans. I realize that a few idiots do not represent an entire fan base but a there were some Gardner Webb fans were speaking after the game about how "EKU is the most classless team..." Well, (if what Stenzel said is true) this sounds a lot like the pot calling the kettle black.
With EKU's win they await to see who they will play in the next round. An announcement on their new opponent should be made Wednesday.