Man what a day of college hoops to help jump start the year! Now let's jump start your day with some coffee...
- The college hoops marathon did not disappoint! There were great games and phenomenal mid-major games all around. Wichita State dominated Memphis. Northern Iowa broke an impressive home winning streak for Stephen F. Austin. Manhattan (and their ugly uniforms) had a crazy buzzer beating dunk but lost to UMass. VCU and Toledo was awesome. Yes, I'm rambling but the whole day was awesome!
- Speaking of VCU, what a debut for Briante Weber who sat out the Rams opener for stealing an iPhone this summer. Weber is chasing the NCAA steals record (man it's hard for me not to make a joke) and came into last night 90 steals away. Now Weber is 81 steals away. Yes, he had NINE STEALS in the Rams 87-78 win over Toledo. That wasn't all, with JeQuan Lewis out Weber handled the ball most of the evening and added 18 points, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists.
- Weber might have been the Player of the Day but the real MVP was Wofford associate Athletic Director Elizabeth Rabb for her dedication to the Terriers 7 AM game versus Iona.
Wofford associate AD Elizabeth Rabb, @Rabbew, picked up 500 biscuits from McDonald's for game. I would be behind her in drive-through lane.— Todd Shanesy (@TerrierTracker) November 18, 2014
Wofford looked damn good in an 86-73 win over the Gaels lead by Karl Cochran with 20 points. Their frat boy laden student section was fired up, probably b/c of Rabb's biscuits.
- These guys finished in second place for the Marathon MVP voting:
- Time for me to brag a little... I was the only one to give Northeastern some love in this week's MM15 rankings. The Huskies pulled off the upset of the night knocking off Florida State 76-73. David Walker lead the Huskies with 22 points and our own Jake Fisher broke down the big CAA victory.
- So that got out of hand... VMI played Johnson University last night, whose website is so bad I can't tell what division or body their athletics teams play in. The Keydets opened the game on a 28-0 run and it took Johnson about nine and a half minutes to finally score a bucket. VMI was up 62-16 at the half and eventually won 124-42. There are about a million non-Division I schools in a three hour radius of VMI and one right across the street, I really don't get scheduling a game like this.
- Eastern Kentucky did pretty much the same thing as VMI against Kentucky Christian. The Colonels started the game on a 21-1 run and ended the first half up 51-10. The eventually won 115-35. That's not fun for anyone...
- Buffalo played at UT Arlington last night and won 74-68. All I'm wondering is if the Bulls will ever get back to Buffalo?
- After getting home from the VCU game last night I watched the Richmond-Old Dominion game. This is always a good in-state match up but I came away really impressed with the team Jeff Jones has down in Norfolk. The Monarchs won 63-57 in front of their tame home fans and Campbell transfer Trey Freeman really stood out to me. Freeman looks like he's going to have no problem making the jump from the Big South to CUSA and finished the night with 13 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds.
- Tekele Cotton made Shaq Goodwin look silly yesterday but what also looked silly was the floor in Sioux Falls.
WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON HERE! LOOK AT THIS!
No wonder Memphis looked so off the whole game, they were probably just confused where to stand on the court the whole time. And what is the deal with the lane formation from when Hoover was president? This is why you didn't get the First Four Sioux Falls! Maybe your court is slightly less confusing than what George Mason played on a couple of years ago.