Your work week is likely ending a little early today and we know you need some coffee to get you through one last day before you feast. So here we go...
- Savannah State struggled a little bit on Monday night at Louisville losing 87-26 but the story yesterday was Rick Pitino's post game comments. Pitino said, "I don’t like to see any team struggle like that.I really don’t. We tried everything. I played four white guys and Egyptian.". Just to clear things up, we will not be accepting votes for "four white guys and an Egyptian" in our Mid-Major Madness Power 15 this week.
- There have been some sneaky good tournaments for mid-majors early this week, the only problem is they haven't been on TV. One of those tournaments is the inaugural Gulf Coast Showcase down in Florida where there were two play-in games for my MMM15 vote yesterday. Green Bay snuck by a very good Evansville team while Florida Gulf Coast manhandled San Francisco without Jamail Jones. It sets up a nice match up today with the 5-0 Eagles taking on the 3-1 Phoenix. Keifer Sykes versus Bernard Thompson, that should perk up everyone's ears.
- This is why I don't follow Jon Rothstein. Thanks! 0-3
Some sneaky games to keep an eye on Tuesday: Hofstra @ South Florida, Akron @ Penn State, Houston @ Harvard. Dangerous for the home teams!— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) November 25, 2014
- Hartford downed Quinnipiac 54-50 last night for a nice little road win. The Hawks are off to a 4-1 start and our own Steph Crandall is a little excited. "How do you like them apples?"...I might have a new favorite coach.
- La Salle's Jordan Price was definitely the player of the night last night dropping 30 points, 7 assists, and 6 rebounds on St. Francis BROOKLYN. Don't look now but the Explorers are off to a nice 4-0 start this season.
Juwan Howard Jr. also had an impressive night in an impressive win for Detroit over Toledo 82-79. Howard had 28 points and 3 assists versus the Rockets.
- Stony Brook's Jameel Warney is a BEAST! He grabbed 15 boards and 4 blocks in Stony Brook's 71-61 win over Western Kentucky last night. He's now averaging 13.6 rebounds this season and it's not like the 3-2 Seawolves have played a powder puff schedule.
- Northern Iowa kept on rolling last night destroying Virginia Tech 73-54. Dan Bogle has the write up here and the Panthers will play undefeated Northwestern tonight for the cherished Cancun Challenge Championship.
- Battle 4 Atlantis...in Chattanooga...I've heard Chattanooga is a lot like the Bahamas and we'll all find out today when a nice little mid-major event tips off. Chattanooga will face Robert Morris while Coastal Carolina will match up with Louisiana-Monroe. These are four pretty good teams and a solid event to keep an eye on.
- I talked about a MMM15 play-in game earlier and one game that has similar ramifications today is Northeastern at UMass. Northeastern is 4-0 and just on the outside of our MMM15, meanwhile the 4-1 Minutemen were ranked 7th this week.
What's On Today?
Samford at Kennesaw State, 2 PM, ESPN3
Furman at #4 Duke, 5 PM, ESPNU
Purdue vs BYU, Maui Invite, 5 PM, ESPN2
Cleveland State at #6 Louisville, 7 PM, ESPN3
Campbell at #16 Ohio State, 7 PM, Big Ten Network
Davidson at Central Florida, 7 PM, ESPN3
Grambling at Notre Dame, 7 PM, ESPN3
Mount St. Mary's at Wake Forest, 7 PM, ESPN3
Richmond at North Carolina State, 7 PM, ESPN3
UMKC at Youngstown State, 7 PM, ESPN3
Georgia State vs Oakland, HOF Classic, 7 PM, ESPN3
Miami (OH) vs Virginia Tech, Cancun Challenge, 7 PM, CBS Sports Network
Texas Southern at SMU, 8 PM, ESPN3
Lehigh at DePaul, 8 PM, Fox Sports 1
UNC Asheville at South Carolina, 8 PM, SEC Network
Texas-Pan American at Utah, 8 PM, Pac 12 Network
Northern Illinois at Iowa, 8:30 PM, ESPN2
#10 Gonzaga vs Georgia, NIT Tip-Off, 9:30 PM, ESPN2
Northwestern vs Northern Iowa, Cancun Challenge, 9:30 PM, CBS Sports Network
Cal Poly at Cal, 10 PM, Pac 12 Network