Another crazy night in college hoops. Here is some coffee to get your morning rolling with a look at everything that went down among the mid-major ranks Tuesday night.
- It's a been a big deal for the Wichita State Shockers to get a Power 5 opponent to come to town and that finally happened last night when Anthony Grant and Alabama made their way to Kansas. Wichita State nearly squandered the opportunity winning 53-52 over the Crimson Tide. The Shockers were down 11 with about six minutes left and then buckled down and had a monster comeback, not allowing the a field goal the rest of the way. Darius Carter had the game winning dunk that brought down the house:
- So La Salle had a not-so-great loss to American on the Explorers home court in overtime 68-66. But they did have the shot of the night to force overtime!
- UNC Greensboro had their annual fundraiser to fund the athletic department for the next two years by inviting a local ACC team into the Greensboro Coliseum for a sellout. A few years ago the Spartans did this for Duke and last night they did it with North Carolina in a game that could be seen on ESPN2. The Spartans got blown out in the first half 40-19 and eventually lost 79-56 but what a great opportunity for a mid-major. You get the TV money and a gate of 11,000+ people in the Coliseum.
- Belmont really continues to struggle without Craig Bradshaw losing 78-51 last night to VCU. It was really a team win for VCU with everyone contributing equally. Simply put, VCU is a match up nightmare for Rick Byrd and his Bruins. I think this three year series is over now, which Byrd is probably happy about. Remember the Bruins did have a similar streak last year during a similar time losing four straight between December 14 and December 28. This team should be fine for OVC play.
- St. Mary's came in at #5 this week in our MMM Power 15 but the Gaels are sure to drop after losing 73-71 to Northern Arizona last night. Brad Waldow has to be the Player of the Night though in the close loss posting 25 points, 15 rebounds, and 6 assists. Someone wants Player of the Week!
- Another guy that had a big night was Charlotte's Pierria Henry who posted 20 points, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists in Charlotte's 90-85 overtime win over Charleston. Joe Chealey lead the Cougars with 30 points and 3 assists.
What's On Tonight?
North Carolina A&T at #12 Ohio State, 7 PM, Big Ten Network
Robert Morris at Toledo, 7 PM, ESPN3
North Florida at Florida State, 7 PM, ESPN3
Manhattan at Pittsburgh, 7 PM, ESPN3
Kennesaw State at Youngstown State, 7 PM, ESPN3
Arkansas State at Mississippi State, 7 PM, SEC Network
Hampton at Illinois, 7 PM, ESPNU
Detroit at Central Florida, 7:30 PM, ESPN3
Illinois-Chicago at SMU, 8 PM, CBS Sports Network
Missouri State at Tulsa, 8 PM, ESPN3
Central Michigan at Northwester, 8 PM, BTN 2
Arkansas Pine Bluff at Houston, 8 PM, ESPN3
USC Upstate at Memphis, 8 PM, ESPN3
Eastern Michigan at #25 Michigan State, 9 PM, Big Ten Network
New Mexico State at Baylor, 9 PM, ESPNU
Winthrop at Auburn, 9 PM, SEC Network
Loyola Marymount at Stanford, 9 PM, Pac 12 Network
Grambling at #16 Washington, 11 PM, Pac 12 Network
Cal State Northridge at Oregon, 11 PM, Pac 12 Network