The Citadel is known for its frantic style of play, complete with fast breaks, traps, quick subs, and lots and lots of points. So it’s not a surprise that the Bulldogs were able to put up a triple-digit number on an NCCAA school on Sunday.
But 146 points? 146?
The Citadel beat something called Johnson University, which is allegedly in Florida, 146-84, to improve to 1-1 on the young season.
Here are some of the more bizarre numbers from a game where a team that gave up 84 points won by more than 60:
- The Citadel scored 80 points in the second half.
- It also broke the program record for points in a game by 14 points.
- All 15 players to appear in the game for the Bulldogs scored.
- Only four players scored in double figures for The Citadel, but nine players had at least eight points.
- Johnson University turned the ball over 39 times and every player to appear in the game for the Suns had at least two turnovers.
- The Citadel took 106 total shots and 50 from three.
- Preston Parks put up a truly odd stat line with five points on 1-10 shooting, 10 assists, eight steals, and six turnovers.
- Brian White had 18 points, nine rebounds, four steals, two assists and four fouls, all in 16 minutes.
- Think that was impressive? Look at Zane Najdawi’s numbers. In just 18 minutes, he put up 26 points, 10 rebounds, two steals, and two blocks, while making 10 of 11 free throw attempts.
Here’s the full box score if you want to find even more fun numbers. Someone please try to replicate this in a video game and let me know how it goes.