Friends, welcome to college basketball Saturday.
Last night’s season opener offered a little taste of everything. We had upsets. We had buzzer beaters. We had Bill Walton doing Bill Walton things. It was all extremely good.
It was so good, we’re going to do it all again today. The college basketball schedule today is understandably not as jam-packed as last night’s slate, but there are still some quality games to keep track of.
To start the day, Illinois State will head down south to face Florida Gulf Coast. The Missouri Valley had a really good opening night, and will look to continue that momentum against the Atlantic Sun favorites.
Mark Pope’s crew put up a strong showing against Kentucky last night in Rupp Arena, and actually had a lead over the Wildcats at the half. What is Utah Valley’s reward? A trip to Durham to face the No. 1 Duke Blue Devils, who are fresh off a 97-68 trouncing of Elon last night.
Games of note (all times Eastern)
Illinois State at Florida Gulf Coast, 1 p.m., ESPN3
IUPUI at Bradley (IUPUI’s first game as Horizon League members), 2 p.m., ESPN3
Stephen F. Austin at Longwoood, 3 p.m.
Wagner at NJIT (NJIT opening a new arena), 6 p.m., ESPN3
Utah Valley at No. 1 Duke, 7 p.m., ACC Network
Saint Joseph’s at Toledo, 7 p.m., ESPN3
St. Francis (PA) at No. 22 Saint Mary’s (No. 1 in our poll), 8 p.m.
Loyola Marymount at UT Arlington, 8 p.m., ESPN3
Mississippi Valley State at BYU (BYU won’t have Nick Emery), 9 p.m., ESPN3
We’ll be around all day with updates, news, notes and other general nonsense.
UPDATE 6:03 p.m.
So, uh, Little Rock just lost to a school called Ouachita Baptist...
Here are some facts about Ouachita Baptist!
- It has a 5:3 vowel to consonant ratio.
- Its most notable alum is Mike Huckabee.
- Went 14-14 last season.
- Lost to top seeded East Central University in the Great American Conference Tournament last season.
- They lost their 3 top scorers from last year (everyone who averaged double figures).
- Their head coach is named Dennis Nutt.
Presumably, Little Rock paid some sum of money to get beat by a team coached by a guy named Dennis Nutt. Not great!
UPDATE: 5:52 p.m.
UPDATE: 5:15 p.m.
Appalachian State won 135-34. That’s a margin of 101 points, for all you non-math majors out there. Let’s look at some of the fun numbers from the box score:
- Toccoa Falls shot 16 percent from the field (11-69) and 12.5 percent from three (3-25)
- The final rebounding margin was 76-24
- Oshowen Williams came off the bench and had six assists for App State. Toccoa Falls also had six assists.
- The Mountaineers were 50-80 from the field
- Toccoa Falls starters shots just 3-45
- The score was 63-16 at halftime
- App State scored 72 points in the second half
- Toccoa Falls has now played four games this season, lost all four, and given up 108-or-more points in all four
UPDATE: 4:55 p.m.
Everyone turn this game on right now
Gotta see if App State can win by 100.
UPDATE: 2:05 p.m.
Florida Gulf Coast had some high-major facilities. At halftime of their game against Illinois State, ESPN3 aired a tour with guard Christian Terrell, who took us through a state-of-the-art film room, hydrotherapy facility, study lounge, and more. This does not look like an Atlantic Sun basketball program: