It was a slow week in the Big South with exams going down at most of the schools and it should be another slow one this week. Here is a little bit to keep you hungry for the conference season...
Jerome Hill and his monster performance against Gardner-Webb may be the only "good" thing that went down in the conference this week. The 6'5 Gardner-Webb big man dropped 28 points, grabbed 19 boards, and blocked 4 shots in the Bulldogs 74-68 win over Furman on Saturday.
Johnson & Wales, Mars Hill, Warren Wilson, Tusculum, Bluefield, and Montreat...those were teams that were all on the Big South slate this week. The average margin of victory for these games was 30.3 points. Something has to give and these games just aren't good for anyone.
Our loser of the week is High Point head coach Scott Cherry. Yea, you lost to Ohio State by 54 but we didn't need the whiny interview afterwards. After the game Cherry lamented the fact that schools at his level have to play guarantee games against schools like Ohio State. Guess what Scott? You don't have to schedule a Top 25 opponent. MAC, Conference USA, and other conferences offer guarantee games against comparable competition, go find one of those.
1. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (8-2, Last Week 1): The Chants took care of business against Warren Wilson and South Carolina State. Cliff Ellis squad now will hit the road trying to knock off another SEC opponent in Ole Miss before heading to Central Arkansas.
2. Gardner-Webb Bulldogs (6-4, LW 5): The Bulldogs have rattled off three straight wins pretty terrible competition. It's hard to really know where this team is at but we'll know more when they head down to Jacksonville on Wednesday.
3. Winthrop Eagles (4-4, LW 6): Pat Kelsey's Eagles destroyed Mars Hill 45 but we'll find out a lot about this team this week when they take a road trip to Southeastern Louisiana and Auburn.
4. Radford Highlanders (5-4, LW 2): It's a big week for Radford after getting stomped by Georgetown Saturday. The Highlanders have three home games on the slate including visits from Siena and Cornell.
5. Charleston Southern Buccaneers (5-3, LW 4): The Bucs had a terrible start against NC State Friday night and will now play a Wofford team that took down the Wolfpack on Sunday.
6. High Point Panthers (6-3, LW 3): The Panthers drop a lot because of Scott Cherry's antics after getting destroyed by Ohio State. The Panthers have three games left on the non-con slate, two against non-Division I opponents and a trip to JMU this Saturday.
7. UNC Asheville Bulldogs (4-5, LW 7): David Robertson put on a show with 22 points against UAB, but the Bulldogs lost their fourth straight game against a Division I opponent. They'll get a good chance at some quality games this week against Jacksonville State and local rival Western Carolina.
8. Campbell Fighting Camels (3-6, LW 10): I have to reward a Division I win and the Camels got their first of the year last week at Delaware State, but later lost to Charleston. Campbell gets SIU Edwardsville and yet another non-D1 this week.
9. Longwood Lancers (3-7, LW 8): Longwood gave UMBC their first win of the season on Sunday and really struggled offensively. The Lancers need to pick things up with two MAC teams on the schedule over the final three games of the non-conference slate.
10. Liberty Flames (4-5, LW 9): Liberty beat a non-D1 last week by 18. We'll find out more about the Flames this week when they take on UNCW on Wednesday.
11. Presbyterian Blue Hose (4-6, LW11): All four of PC's wins are against non-Division I teams. The Blue Hose has a pretty bad Samford team on the slate this week, which should be their best shot at a win before non-conference play starts.
So this is my best attempt to normalize the Big South standings if everyone had a similar schedule. I assure you
Player of the Week
Jerome Hill, Gardner-Webb: This has to be the aforementioned Jerome Hill for his monster performance this weekend. Can't argue with 28 points, grabbed 19 boards, and 4 blocked shots.
Freshman of the Week
Kevin Vannatta, UNC Asheville: The Ohio native did a little bit of everything this week averaging 4 rebounds and 3 assists in games against Tusculum and UAB. He also dropped 8 points on the Blazers in Sunday's loss.
TV/Free Streaming Schedule
Samford at Presbyterian, 7 PM, Big South Network
Johnson & Wales at Radford, 7 PM, Big South Network
UNC Asheville at Jacksonville State, 8 PM, OVC Digital Network
Charleston Southern at Wofford, 7 PM, SoCon Digital Network
SIU Edwardsville at Campbell, 7 PM, Big South Network
Ferrum at High Point, 7 PM, Big South Network
Liberty at UNCW, 7:30 PM, UNCW Streaming
Winthrop at Auburn, 9 PM, SEC Network
Coastal Carolina at Ole Miss, 8 PM, SEC Network
Siena at Radford, 7 PM, Big South Network
Hiwassee at Gardner-Webb, 7 PM, Big South Network
Central Penn at Liberty, 7 PM, Big South Network
Montreat at Campbell, 2 PM, Big South Network
Penn State-Beaver at Longwood, 2 PM, Big South Network
Presbyterian at UT Martin, 4 PM, OVC Digital Network
High Point at JMU, 5 PM, MadiZone
Western Carolina at UNC Asheville, 2 PM, Big South Network
Cornell at Radford, 2PM, Big South Network
Reinhardt at Winthrop, 2 PM, Big South Network