clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Tyler Haws injured as BYU takes down Weber State, 76-70

One of the nation's top scorers went down with an ankle injury late in BYU's in-state road victory.

Chris Nicoll-USA TODAY Sports

OGDEN—BYU drained a proliferation of three-pointers, but leading scorer Tyler Haws was injured late as the BYU Cougars defeated the Weber State Wildcats, 76-60, Saturday night at the Dee Events Center.

Haws scored a game-high 19 points, shooting 5-of-10 from the floor and 8-of-10 at the free-throw line, but injured his ankle with 3:29 left in the game. Haws jumped to contest a driving layup from Richaud Gittens and rolled his left ankle when he landed.

"It looks like a sprain, and it’s swollen up pretty good. It was pretty painful," BYU head coach Dave Rose said of Haws’ injury. "We won’t know for sure until we get an x-ray and MRI."

Related: VIDEO - Dave Rose talks Haws' injury and BYU's win

"It's tough when anyone goes down, especially Tyler," BYU guard Chase Fischer said. He works so hard to stay healthy, and it's scary for anyone. He's a tough guy, so he'll rehab and he'll be fine."

Freshman big man Isaac Neilson scored a career-high 15 points for BYU in his first-ever start, knocking down his first four three-point attempts and helping the Cougars to a hot 8-of-10 performance from deep in the first half.

"The rims are real soft here," Fischer said of BYU's 12-of-19 three-point performance in the Dee Events Center. "This is a good place to shoot."

Randy Rahe said Weber's game plan was to limit BYU's stars. "We told ourselves we were going to do a good job against Haws and Collinsworth, and if their fours make threes, then they make threes," Rahe said. "The Neilson kid was huge for them."

Weber State's offense continued to struggle Saturday night, shooting just 19-of-51 from the field and 3-of-12 from three. The Wildcats went on a run midway through the second half, cutting the deficit to eight points after Kyndahl Hill knocked down a pair of three-pointers.

With about seven minutes left in the game, BYU used an old-fashioned three-point play from Haws, then after a missed breakaway dunk from Weber's Jaelyn Johnson-Coston, got a trey from Fischer to extend the lead to 63-47 and didn't look back.

BYU improved to 8-3 with the win and hosts Stanford next Saturday. Weber State fell to 3-5 and plays host to Utah Valley on the same day.